Happy Fall Y'all....8 Reasons Why Fall is the Best Season!
Winter, spring, summer and fall; but fall is the best season of all….well, at least I think so!
Today is the first day of fall and I am so excited that it's finally arrived!!
Each year I wait patiently for fall to come around, and by the time it does, I am so ready for it! For me, fall is a welcome blessing from the heat of summer.
For most of my life, I did not experience a change of seasons. I grew up in South Florida where heat and humidity are always in season. I didn’t see any beautiful fall colors or experience many cool days or nights. To us Floridians, cold temperatures were in the low 70’s! It was just hot…all the time.
I used to remember fall days as a young child when I lived in Ohio and longed for them for most of my life after we moved to Florida. Now that I live in Georgia, seeing what fall brings takes me back to my childhood. It's like being a kid again and I love it!
To me, fall represents beauty and a brand new start. While some would say that fall represents death and the dying off of summer, I choose to look at fall as a releasing of the old to make room for the new.
It’s funny that even trees understand how this works. The trees let go of their leaves to make room for the new growth in the spring that follows after a long cold winter. Fall is proof that there is beauty in letting things go and living in expectation of the wonderful things to come.
Isn’t that a great way to look at this time of year?!?
10 Fun Facts About Fall
1. The first day of fall is called the “autumnal equinox”, which means equal night. On this day, the number of hours of daylight equal the number of hours of night.
2. During autumn the Northern Lights, or Aurora Borealis, are visible.
3. According to the UK Department of Education, babies born in autumn excel in school.
4. Facebook reports that more people get involved in relationships during the autumn
season. This is based on FB status changes from "single" to "in a relationship".
5. Autumn used to be called “harvest” because the moon closest to the autumn equinox is known as the harvest moon. This moon helped the farmers to have a successful harvest.
6. The word “fall” was used in the 17th century to symbolize the “fall of the leaf.”
7. During the fall, testosterone in both men and women are the highest, which is one reason why a lot of babies are conceived during these months.
8. Weight gain during the fall months may not be due solely to the great food, but actually a lack of vitamin D which helps to reduce fat breakdown.
9. Birds begin to migrate to warmer climates during fall. The Arctic Tern actually migrates 11,000 miles away from home, making it the bird that travels the farthest.
10. The Monarch Butterfly is the only insect that migrates to a warmer climate and that climate is 2,500 miles away.
8 Reasons Why Fall is the Best Season
I love fall colors. The oranges, reds, golds, and browns make me smile. It’s feels like the world comes to life with the promise of renewal that follows when winter leads to spring. It is so hard to be in anything but a good mood with so much beauty all around.
The heat of summer is finally gone and the wind is cool and crisp. It’s not too hot and it’s not too cold; the weather is absolutely perfect. My favorite fall days are when the sun is shining bright and there is a crisp breeze. I smile just thinking how those days are just around the corner.
I love sweater weather!
Who doesn’t love wearing sweaters, boots, and scarves?
Dressing comfortably is something to be completely thankful for and the clothing in fall is nothing but comfortable! Besides...items like scarves keep you warm, and they look great, too!!
Sitting around a bonfire roasting marshmallows and making s’mores is a great way to spend an evening. Add fun stories and cuddling with your favorite person and you have the icing on the cake.
Hello....pumpkin spice?!? Yes please!
Fall is a time for great food and hot drinks. Hot apple cider and pumpkin everything...
Who could ask for more??
Fall nights are perfect for curling up with a good book or cuddling with your favorite person to watch a movie. Add a warm crackling fire and the evening is complete!!
When July rolls around my family begins to count the days until football season starts....but we are a house divided. My husband is a is a Packers fan and I am a Steelers fan...but no matter what team is playing, to us, fall means football!!
Holidays Are Around the Corner
Finally, the beginning of fall reminds me that the holidays are right around the corner. Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s all give us a reason to give thanks, to smile, and to celebrate and to make life-long memories with our families and friends.
During this amazing and beautiful season, I find it hard not to reflect on everything that I am thankful for. It's surely the most wonderful time of the year!
Here’s to a happy fall…may you find joy and love in your life and reflect on all of the reasons to be thankful!!